Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Why is it that...

Why is it that... "a fragrance in the air, a certain passage of a song, an old photograph falling out from the pages of a book, the sound of somebody's voice in the hall...makes your heart leap and fills your eyes with tears?"  Frederick Buechner
The smell of Grandpa's Mustang in the summer heat, the interior hinting at the years of cigarette smoke mixed with deteriorating industrial adhesives and mildew - but it brought back memories of riding in the car with him while he was still alive.
The music I listened too riding in the car, to and from the hospital to visit my wife, pregnant with our baby who was not supposed to survive. Then driving to visit our baby in the intensive care unit, who was born, alive and well. Not to mention the smell of hospital hand sanitizers and cleaners and medical supplies… 
The story that makes your heart well up with joy, compassion or empathy...
The beauty of love, human triumph, or memories long past, but fresh and strong.  

1 comment:

molly said...

I was thinking about that the other night when I was in the basement and I could hear a song playing that I had regularly listened to in the car on the way to visit Aine at the hospital. I, of course, promptly started crying. And I always liberally use the medical soaps and sanitizers at the doctor's office, because they remind me of the time when she was born...